17 July 2010

Walls....They should be Covered!


My OBSESSION with wallcoverings began in 2002-but not the way you think it would have. I had always loved weddings-one of my favorites is the design-color schemes, table arrangements, lighting, just all of it. {So my wonderful mother shared the same excitement about weddings too-so much so that she had a subscription to Bride magazine.} While flipping through this BRIDE magazine, I stumbled across a perfect wedding design scheme. It was set in Charleston, outdoors and very chic. The color scheme was black, white and apple green. There was white lounge seating in tents, a table of green candies in apothecary jars {love these}, black glass taper candle holders, green and white Japanese lanterns, etc. But what struck me the most was this amazing paper pattern they used as the aisle runner, place cards, on the cake, etc.

I saved the article and it wasn't until I got engaged that I came across it again! I was able to look up the wedding online {booo it's not online anymore or I would TOTALLY post it!} and find out what that "paper" was. Turns out it was a English wallcovering from the amazing Cole and Son Wallpaper company. I was able to find out through one of my reps how I could get a sample.



<---------------This is it!

It's from their series New Contemporary Collection 1 and it's called Malabar. History blip: Cole and Son was founded in 1873 and today is the only remaining wallcovering company in the world producing hand-made flock wallpaper in the traditional way. Cole and Son owns more wooden pattern blocks than any other wallcovering company. Coles is now the prime source for entirely authentic period wallpapers printed by the original method and has provided wallpapers for many historic houses, including Buckingham Palace and the White House.

By going to the website and looking through all of their collections, I began to have a passion for wallcovering again. {I should note that I get this from my mother, who always had the most beautiful taste in wallcoverings in my houses growing up. I didn't appreciate them then, and thought they were SO UGLY but now, I love them!}Below are some of the other colors of Malabar as well as a few prints from their new Vintage Glamour and Fornasetti collection. Enjoy!



This one has to be the coolest wallcovering ever!!! A little creepy with all the faces but striking!


Here are a few pictures from my wedding showing how I used the Malabar wallcovering as the table runners and around our "lumpy" cake! :)

I still have all the cuttings and will do a future project with them one day! Just haven't figured out what or where! :) It's so striking-it just needs the perfect small room!

No comments:

Post a Comment